Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Movie review: It Follows

 
 Following an intimate encounter, Jay learns that her partner has passed to her a lethal curse that can only be removed by passing it to another person in the same manner.

Maika Monroe (Jay), Lili Sepe (Kelly), Keir Gilchrist (Paul), Debbie Williams (Mrs. Height), Olivia Luccardi (Yara), Jake Weary (Hugh/Jeff), Daniel Zovatto (Greg), Bailey Spry (Annie).

It Follows begins well enough with a bit of excitement before stepping back for character introductions and plot setup. Once Jay is infected with the curse, things get somewhat more interesting while we try and figure out what is happening. Sadly, the curse is not explained well and other than a few brief sparks, the film felt almost lethargic. The story finishes with an ending that really doesn't finish anything.

Acting was okay but appeared to suffer from the same lack of energy as the rest of the film. Monroe was decent with good delivery, as was Weary, and the two seemed to work well together. Sepe, Gilchrist and the remainder of the cast were decent.

Camera work, sets, and backgrounds were realistic, fitting, and again fairly mild. Action scenes helped raise the energy level a bit, but only mildly and in spurts. Dialogue was dry and fairly boring. Sound and soundtrack were depressing throughout.

It Follows looks like a good teen scream but moves into the adult category with nudity and some fairly explicit intimacy. Save this one for older teens and above.

Released: 2014
Reviewed: 10.10.17
Star rating: 2 out of 5
Genre: Thrillers, Supernatural Thrillers, Horror, Halloween Favorites, Mystery

copyright ©2017 Dave Riedel

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).