Monday, December 24, 2018

Movie review: History’s Mysteries: Secret Societies

 
 A History Channel exploration into secret societies and groups exploring the possibility of their existence, possible goals and aspirations, and functions. With input from well known conspiracy theorists on Skull and Bones, Freemasons, Knights Templar, Bilderbergers, and the Trilateral Commission.

Rather than being a true unbiased exploration or history of secret societies this documentary really is a 42 minute speech on conspiracy theories. There are some bits and pieces of interesting information but they are found wallowing between soap box type speeches about how a few elite groups are trying to dominate our global economy. It wasn’t long into the film before it felt as if they were trying to convince the viewer of conspiracy theories rather than explore the history of secret societies. I was particularly frustrated with references to Knights Templar that weren’t quantified in any way at all, just tossed out as if to say “We know they are guilty of something but we don’t know what”. There were also many pieces of information that were questionable at best, timelines that didn’t quite fit, and relationships between groups that have not only never been confirmed but have actually been publicly denied by the groups.

In the end, this ‘documentary’ felt very much like a propaganda publication by a few conspiracy theorists which raises the question; How did they convince the respectable History Channel to produce this film? It would almost seem as if the conspiracy theorists who are concerned about the power of a few elite groups have a considerable amount of power themselves, but are trying to shift focus.

Overall, if you are a conspiracy theory fan this one is for you. It may not give you any new information but for anyone else truly interested in the history, this is a waste of time.

Nothing here to limit audience age.

Released: 2001
Reviewed: 12.11.18
Star rating: 1 out of 5
Genre: Mystery, History, Documentary

copyright ©2018 Dave Riedel

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).