Monday, December 7, 2015

Movie review: How to Survive the End of the World

Examining multiple doomsday scenarios such as frozen or flooded Earth and nanotechnology the series explores possible methods of survival.

Paul Levinson, David Bartell, Hakeem Oluseyi, Les Johnson, Indar Kumar, Brian McCulley.

Billed as a documentary, How to Survive the End of the World is more like fantastical hypothesis. Though the theme is documentary-like, the actual scenarios are a bit hard to swallow. Such as a frozen meteorite or comet striking the moon eventually causing the Earth to flood. Each theory seems to be reality based but the effects and methods of survival are largely fantasy. With only six episodes, each 45 minutes long, the series touches on only the most popular doomsday theories.

Though there wasn't much actual acting in this one, the experts interviewed did a great job of playing up the drama and danger.

Camera work, sets, and backgrounds are somewhat interesting with some decent natural scenes. That said, some natural effects such as snow were presented as more extreme than they appeared in an attempt at presenting more intense drama. Dialogue was interesting if again, somewhat dramatic at times. Sound and soundtrack were good, as was CGI.

Though the series is somewhat interesting, interpreting the scenarios as impending or even completely realistic is a stretch. Those wanting actual scientific data may be disappointed while those hoping for extreme hypothetical situations should enjoy this one somewhat.

With some potentially disturbing contents, this should be fine for teens and above.

Released: 2013
Reviewed: 1.20.15
Star rating: 3 out of 5
Genre: TV Documentaries, TV Shows, Documentaries

copyright ©2015 Dave Riedel

Remember to click on Subscribe and leave comments!

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).