Saturday, December 26, 2015

Movie review: Phantasm

Jody, Reggie and Mike uncover strange happenings at a mortuary run by The Tall Man. Investigating further they find a gateway to another world, a mysterious arsenal of strange weapons, and a whole lot of trouble.

A.Michael Baldwin (Mike), Bill Thornbury (Jody), Reggie Bannister (Reggie), Angus Scrimm (The Tall Man).

This is the one that started it all and watching it again after all these years, I am glad the series only got better after this one. Although it is a great plot and there are some surprisingly interesting effects, the chill factor just isn’t there in this one anymore. The Tall Man was scary, but not that scary. And the taste of the flying brain balls that you get only makes you want more rather than scaring you. I love the flying silver brain balls!! Watching it again now it is almost a surprise the film became so popular.

Acting all around was rough and unpolished but at the same time it gives the story a bit of authenticity. Special effects were okay but also a bit rough around the edges. Sound was haunting at times, repetitive and boring at others. Sets were well done, particularly in the mortuary. Something we did notice was that whomever was driving the ‘Cuda in the movie should have their license revoked. Also, the vehicle master on the film was slacking a bit with tail lights on the car sometimes working sometimes not working.

If you have never seen the films from the Phantasm franchise you are missing some of the best sci-fi horror ever. Watch this one to see how it all started, for the background, and before you watch the rest of the series. Otherwise, there are scarier films out there at this point.

A bit of nudity in this one and some foul language so save it for preens or young teens and above.

Released: 1979
Reviewed: 12.21.15
Star rating: 4 out of 5
Genre: Fantasy, Horror, Sci-Fi, Sci-Fi Horror, Classic Horror Films

copyright ©2015 Dave Riedel

Follow my blog to see reviews as they are posted!

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).