Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Movie review: End Day

Traveling from London to New York, a fictional scientist experiences multiple doomsday scenarios presented in a Ground Hog Day style. With commentary by various experts, this 48 minute long BBC production explores several common catastrophic events.

Glenn Conroy (Dr. Howell), Bill McGuire, Jay Melosh, John Oxford, Frank Close, Brian Cox, Robert Andrews (Dead Man), Craig Court (Scientist).

End Day uses an interesting approach, showing us several doomsday scenarios from the perspective of Dr. Howell in a reality TV theme. The documentary jumps straight to it, unrolling the first scenario immediately. As the world ends, the next scenario begins with much of the initial plot and storyline setup. Dr. Howell learns of the events from media and other sources, and we get to experience their impact with him in real time including the end of the world and the film.

Acting was decent with Conroy doing a fair job in a mild role. The scientists interviewed did well and presented good insight and information consistent with the theme of the film. The remainder of the cast were solid.

Camera work, sets, and backgrounds were nicely done with the impact you would expect of extinction level events. CGI completed things, giving us a nice look at some unimaginable catastrophes. Dialogue was a bit rough, but better than many documentaries. Sound was good.

Overall End Day is an enjoyable documentary mainly because of the storytelling approach. Those who enjoy their information with a bit of entertainment will like this the most. Those who prefer the facts without fluff will probably be disappointed.

Nothing here to limit audience age so teens and above should be fine.

Released: 2005
Reviewed: 9.28.16
Star rating: 2 out of 5
Genre: Documentary, End of the World, TV Shows, British TV, Science and Nature

copyright ©2016 Dave Riedel

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).