Friday, February 3, 2017

Movie review: The Postman

Post-apocalyptic America is a dangerous place to live with nobody trusting anyone else and rogue armies with the most dangerous, the Holnists, led by the demented General Bethlehem bent on race purification of survivors. When the Holnists capture a drifter he escapes at first chance and when he stumbles upon a mail Jeep, he assumes the identity of the dead mailman and convinces people the government, including postal service, has been restored as a means of acquiring food and support for himself.

Kevin Costner (Postman), Will Patton (Bethlehem), Larenz Tate (Ford Lincoln Mercury), Olivia Williams (Abby), Tom Petty (Bridge City Mayor), James Russo (Idaho), Giovanni Ribisi (Bandit 20).

Costner directed this one and although there are plenty of negative reviews, I love this movie. The plot is unusual and original and moves along at a good pace. The film feels like post-apocalypse meets steampunk meets survivalist film and surprisingly, it all works. I am a big fan of apocalypse films and sci-fi and this is a great mix of both with a detailed plot and technical work that holds audience attention.  There is so much more to this movie than can be put into a short review.

The cast is wonderful with good performances from the primary members as well as a supporting cast that does an excellent job. Patton is incredible in his role, as were Costner and Tate. I also loved the cameo by Tom Petty and the dialogue he has with Costner about being famous.

Camera work was very well done throughout the film and added to the storyline and emotion. Sets were incredible and high quality throughout. Dialogue and sound were also well done although the soundtrack could have used some good tunes.

Put this one toward the top of your Must See list if you haven’t seen it yet.

There is a fair amount of violence, some foul language, and some sexual scenes so this one should be viewed by older teens and above only.

Released: 1997
Reviewed: 1.30.17
Star rating: 5 out of 5
Genre: Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi Action, Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Sci-Fi Adventure, Sci-Fi Drama

copyright ©2017 Dave Riedel

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).