Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Movie review: Bruce Almighty

 
 Television reporter Bruce Nolan is having his worst day ever. Taking out his frustration by ridiculing God, the Almighty decides to endow Bruce with His divine powers and show him how tough the job can be.

Jim Carrey (Bruce), Morgan Freeman (God), Jennifer Aniston (Grace), Philip Hall (Jack), Catherine Bell (Susan), Lisa Walter (Debbie), Steve Carell (Evan), Nora Dunn (Ally), Eddie Jemison (Bobby), Paul Satterfield (Dallas).

Bruce Almighty is simply a lot of fun. When Bruce mercilessly ridicules God, blaming him for all of lifes challenges, God decides to prove a point and endows Bruce with His divine powers along with the challenge to do better. Receiving His power, Bruce indulges himself for a bit which is absolutely hysterical. Focusing on pleasuring his girlfriend Grace, including a redesign of the moon and stars, brought even more laughs.

Acting was solid with Carrey delivering the laughs as always. Freeman also did very well in a role that suits him perfectly. Aniston was a lovely choice to play against Carrey and was enjoyable as always. The remainder of the supporting cast was solid, enjoyable, and contributed well.

Camera work, sets, and backgrounds are well done throughout with a big screen production feel. Action scenes were fitting and fun, was mild CGI. Dialogue was full of laughs and a ton of fun. Sound and soundtrack are good.

If you need a few laughs Bruce Almighty is a great choice. While some evangelicals may find issue with the content, most of us will realize this is a comedy and enjoy is appropriately. If you are a Carrey fan, or enjoy an over-the-top comedy, check this one out!

With some sexuality and foul language, this should actually be fine for teens and above.

Released: 2003
Reviewed: 4.29.19
Star rating: 5 out of 5
Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Drama, Slapstick comedy

copyright ©2019 Dave Riedel

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).