Monday, May 13, 2019

Movie review: Right at Your Door

 
When a series of dirty bombs are detonated in Los Angeles, Brad desperately tries to contact his wife who was headed into the city. Unable to find her, he seals himself inside their home to save his own life.

Mary McCormack (Lexi), Rory Cochrane (Brad), Tony Perez (Alvaro), Scotty Noyd Jr. (Timmy).

Lexi is on her way to work in downtown Los Angeles when a series of dirty bombs start exploding. At home her husband Brad tries desperately to find out how she is doing, even trying to go find her himself only to be turned back by police. As the news advises people to seal their homes, stay inside, and avoid any contact with those exposed to the bombs, Lexi arrives home. Once there she finds Brad has sealed the house and they both know that since she has been exposed she can’t come inside.

The movie begins with some character development before the bombs explode and things get crazy for a bit. After that, the movie basically comes to a screeching halt as far as excitement goes and turns into a psychological journey. A sad, tired, plodding, psychological journey. Finally, about the time you think the movie is going to die of boredom, things get interesting again with an incredible plot twist that makes the pain worth the pleasure. I absolutely loved the plot and thought it was executed pretty well in this flick.

McCormack did a wonderful job with her role. I felt her emotion and connected with her character. Perez did a decent job as well. I was mixed on Cochrane though, as he seemed flat in parts yet projected well in others.

Special effects were nicely done, appropriate for the story without going overboard. Dialogue was good although sound was horrible with highs and lows. It was difficult to hear anyone in a hazmat suit, which is probably realistic, and hard to understand Cochrane when he got excited or whispered. Sets were wonderfully done and although the film didn’t appear to have a huge budget, they added a lot to the general impact of the film.

Overall this movie was not what I thought it would be when I decided to watch it. This is a psychological thriller with some action thrown in for punctuation. It is not quite an End of The World type movie but more like an Epidemic type movie.

Some foul language and violence but preens and above should be fine with this one, though I doubt they will want to watch it for long.

Released: 2006
Reviewed: 5.8.19
Star rating: 4 out of 5
Genre: Thriller, Sci-Fi, Drama, Indie Films

copyright ©2019 Dave Riedel

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).