Sunday, July 10, 2016

Movie review: Hellraiser V: Inferno

Corrupt cop Det. Thorne finds a puzzle box at the murder scene of an old High School acquaintance and takes the box when his sticky fingers get the best of him. Not knowing the power of the Lament Configuration, he works the box and soon can’t tell what is real and what is imagination. In a world of torture and pain, nothing is what it seems and as he learns, he is actually in the puzzle.

Craig Sheffer (Det. Thorne), Nicholas Turturro (Det. Nenonen), James Remar (Dr. Gregory), Doug Bradley (Pinhead), Nicholas Sadler (Bernie), Lindsay Taylor (Chloe).

This episode in the Hellraiser series is a definite deviation from previous versions. The plot is interesting and this is a pretty good stand alone movie but, putting it in context with the series so far it really doesn’t do anything to further the overall storyline. So as a Hellraiser episode in the franchise, this was disappointing with very little Cenobite screen time. As a horror flick, I would say this is a bit better than average psychological thriller. It was nice to see a return to the original Hellraiser theme of punishing the guilty and in that respect, it did maintain the franchise.

Acting by Sheffer was confusing, seeming to be over the top at times. But, if he was supposed to be a cop you would hate, then he hit the mark nicely. Remar also did a nice job, and Sadler rocked.

Camera work, sound, special effects, and sets were all of the good quality you expect from the Hellraiser franchise. Put this one about the middle of your Must See list.

Although more psychological than physical, there are still some good blood and guts, as well as torture scenes in this film so keep it for teens and above.

Released: 2000
Reviewed: 7.4.16
Star rating: 4 out of 5
Genre: Horror, Satanic Stories, Crime, Mystery, Sci-Fi Horror

copyright ©2016 Dave Riedel

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).