Monday, July 11, 2016

Movie review: Sleepers

Based on a book by Carcaterra, when four boys pull a deadly prank they are sent to a reformatory where guards, led by Nokes, abuse them repeatedly. Years later when two of the boys encounter the guard as adults and exact their revenge they end up standing trial and making everyone decide between justice and loyalty.

Kevin Bacon (Nokes), Billy Crudup (Tommy), Robert De Niro (Father Bobby), Ron Eldard (John Reilly), Minnie Driver (Carol), Vittorio Gassman (King Benny), Dustin Hoffman (Danny), Terry Kinney (Ferguson), Bruno Kirby (Shakes’ Father), Frank Medrano (Fat Mancho), Jason Patric (Lorenzo ‘Shakes’ Carcaterra), Brad Pitt (Michael).

I have seen this movie a few times and love it every time. The film starts off good with character development and the back-story needed for the second half of the film. The young actors in this part of the film are excellent and deliver the story wonderfully while at the same time providing some very disturbing images.

Bacon does great in his role as an abusive guard making the audience despise him completely. The second half of the film is brought to life by the impressive list of actors who all deliver beyond expectations. Even De Niro who is hard to imagine as a Priest pulls it off beautifully. Together they bring new elements to the second half of the film that bring morality to question so strongly it is almost as disturbing as the first half of the film.
Acting by everyone was wonderful throughout. Sound, dialogue, and camera work were all nicely done. Backgrounds and sets were very nice and did a lot to support the depth of the film.

Overall this is an excellent film worth watching more than once. Warnings of disturbing sexual content are not to be ignored. Violence and language are also present in this film. Save this one for adults and above only and take note, the film is over two hours long.

Released: 1996
Reviewed: 7.4.16
Star rating: 5 out of 5
Genre: Drama, Dramas Based on Books, Courtroom Drama, Thriller, Crime Thriller

copyright ©2016 Dave Riedel

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).