Friday, July 1, 2016

Movie review: Mimic 3 – Sentinel

As a man with severe allergies to common things, Karl spends most of his time in his bedroom using photography of the outside world, particularly his apartment complex, as his hobby. When strange things start happening he, his sister, their mother, and a friend who lives in the building try and defend their apartment complex against the Judas Breed insects.

Lance Henriksen (Garbageman), Karl Geary (Marvin), Alexis Dziena (Rosy), Rebecca Mader (Carmen), John Kapelos (Det. Dumars), Amanda Plummer (Simone).

Sadly, this movie was a complete disappointment. The synopsis above is the most you will hear about the plot. It isn’t explained at all in the movie, apparently relying on the assumption that you have watched the first two already and can figure it out yourself. Speaking of the creatures, you don’t really get a look at them until well into the film and you never do get a really good look. Although they had potential it was just hard to be afraid of them.

Acting was mediocre with the best performances coming from Dziena, Kapelos and Plummer. Geary was so irritating that I kept hoping the bugs would get him!

I was also completely disappointed with the camera work in this one. The film was so dark that if you don’t have the drapes closed and the lights off you are going to miss a lot of the scenery and action. Even after adjusting TV display to make things brighter, things just didn’t show up. At the same time, some of the special effects were pretty good, and there is some nice gore. Sound was boring at best and although dialogue was okay, it really didn’t do much to further the plot or generate a connection with the characters.

Although I’ve made it sound like this one was boring, and it was, the creatures could probably still scare the stuffing out of younger kids. Young teens and above should be okay with this one.

Released: 2003
Reviewed: 6.22.16
Star rating: 2 out of 5
Genre: Horror, Sci-Fi Horror, Sci-Fi Thriller, Creature Features

copyright ©2016 Dave Riedel

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).