Saturday, December 19, 2009

Appaloosa


Released: 2008

Reviewed: 12.15.09
Star rating: 3 out of 5

Jeremy Irons (Bragg), Ed Harris (Virgil), Viggo Mortensen (Hitch), Renee Zellweger (Allison), Robert Jauregui (Marshall Bell), Timothy Murphy (Vince), Luce Rains (Dean), Cerris Morgan-Moyer (Tilda).

Bragg and his cowboys are the local bad bunch and they are plundering the town of Appaloosa on a regular basis. Tired of being used, the town hires gunfighters Virgil and Hitch to fill the role of local lawmen and rid them of Bragg and his gang. Virgil and Hitch have things under control but when the beautiful Allison shows up things become a bit more complicated.

This one starts off with a bit of action that sets down a basis for the film plot then moves right into character development. Directed by Ed Harris, this really isn't the typical western. There aren't as many action scenes as you usually see in westerns and although everyone had a gun, they weren't relied upon in this film the way the often are. This was more about the subtle aspects of the story and how western life could be complicated and dangerous in other ways. Despite the lack of action the plot moves along pretty well, felt fairly solid, and kept audience interest to the end.

Acting was pretty good from Irons and Harris as you would expect. It isn't often you see Harris playing down but he did it well in this film. Mortensen however was my favorite in this one, playing the shadowy yet more than capable partner wonderfully. I've never been a Zellweger fan and though she did nicely here, I find it hard to see her as a love interest.

Camera work, sets, and background were all nicely done and gave the film an authentic feel despite it appearing to have been a lower budget production. Sound and dialogue were okay, while the soundtrack was a bit flat.

Overall this was a nicely done western that had a bit more to it than just guns and attitude. With violence and foul language save this one for older teens and above.

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).