Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Candyman

Released: 1992
Reviewed: 12.6.09
Star rating: 3 out of 5

Virginia Madsen (Helen), Tony Todd (Candyman/Daniel), Xander Berkeley (Trevor), Kasi Lemmons (Bernie), Vanessa Williams (Anne-Marie), DeJuan Guy (Jake), Ted Raimi (Billy).

The Candyman stories are myth and folklore. Or are they? Look in the mirror and say his name 3 times and he will appear so find out for yourself. When grad student Helen is drawn to the housing project where the Candyman dwells in search of research material, she found out. As the bodies pile up and the cops hold her responsible reality dissolves.

I've seen this one a few times over the years. The story starts a bit slow spending a fair amount of time on plot development before things get moving. Character development is focused mainly around the Candyman with little done for the supporting roles. As the action gets going there are a few good BOO moments and some blood but not much of the violence is actually shown indicating a somewhat lower budgeted film. Not a really scary film but a solid horror entry.

Acting felt bland in this one. Madsen put out a bit of emotion but not much, and it didn't feel real. Todd was stoic but it actually fit the role well. Berkeley is a waste in a dramatic role, he plays a much better criminal. Everyone else was somewhat uninteresting as a whole.

Camera work, sets and backgrounds were minimalistic and rough which supported the movie while leaving it feeling undone or amateurish. Dialogue and sound were nicely done. Special effects were minimal but well done centering mostly around dripping blood.

Overall, a good entry level horror with nice psychological effects for younger viewers. With some gore, violence, and brief nudity save this for older teens and above.

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).