Monday, December 7, 2009

Ronin


Released: 1998

Review Date: 12.2.09
Star rating: 4 out of 5

Robert De Niro (Sam), Jean Reno (Vincent), Natascha McElhone (Deirdre), Stellan Skarsgard (Gregor), Sean Bean (Spence), Skipp Sudduth (Larry), Michael Lonsdale (Jean-Pierre).

Irish terrorists want a briefcase with unknown contents and hire a squad of mercenaries, Ronin, headed by ex-CIA agent Sam to steal it. But after the heist goes wrong, the mercenaries are distrustful of each other, and their boss appears to be shafting them, will they be able to finish the job?

This one jumps into the intrigue and plot pretty quickly then uses the story for character development throughout the rest of the film. The plot feels good and fairly solid. With political perspective and every character having an unknown past it is just complicated enough to be interesting without being difficult to follow. And once the action kicks in, things get really good. The story also does a good job of walking the line between reality and fantasy, making you wonder if there are really people like this in the world and if this how they get things done.

Acting was very nice. De Niro was perfect for his role being both believeable and chrismatic at the same time. Reno, McElhone, and Skarsgard also did wonderfully and fit their roles very nicely. Bean also put forth a nice, if brief, performance.

Camera work, sets, and backgrounds were all well done and I enjoyed a lot of the sets and scenery. Sound was good and the soundtrack fit the film well. Dialogue was good and everyone was understandable easily, even with strong accents.

Overall this was a well done action crime thriller with a good quality feel. Despite being made in 1998 the film feels much newer. If you are a fan of the genre this is well worth watching so put it in the top half of your Must See list. With violence and some foul language this one should be fine for older teens and above.

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).