Saturday, October 31, 2009

Carlito's Way: Rise to Power


Released: 2005

Reviewed: 10.27.09
Star rating: 3 out of 5

Jay Hernandez (Carlito), Mario Van Peebles (Earl), Luis Guzman (Nacho), Sean Combs (Nicky), Michael Kelly (Rocco), Jaclyn DeSantis (Leticia), Burt Young (Artie), Giancarlo Esposito (Jeff), Mtume Gant (Reggie).

In this prequel to Carlito's Way we see how Carlito embraces the world of organized crime and makes a name for himself. As his power grows, so do the threats to that power. Although he is on his way to lead the New York underworld it may takes less than he thinks to threaten his plans.



I mistakenly watched Carlito's Way before I knew this film had existed so I saw them out of order. Although I hate comparing films I just can't help it here. Billed as a prequel to Carlito's Way this one did explain to some extent how Carlito gained his power. It also ended in such a way that Carlito couldn't have continued and did the things found in Carlito's Way. It was as if they started off on the right path and then forgot about the second film and just made up the rest of the story. I just can't see how this is a prequel. Rating the film by itself it is a decent mobster flick that was somewhat enjoyable.

Hernandez did a decent job but I was more impressed by Van Peebles and Combs who both have much more depth than I had given them credit for having. Guzman delivered as usual and the rest of the supporting cast did a nice job. There wasn't a lot of energy here, but there was some.

Camera work, sets, and background were all nicely done and the film apparently had a reasonable budget. Dialogue and sound were also good, as were effects and action sequences.

Overall a decent mob flick but a failure as a prequel. Plenty of violence, foul language, drugs, and some sexual content but older teens and above should be fine with this one.

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).