Sunday, October 18, 2009

Lost Souls


Released: 2000
Reviewed: 2009
Star rating: 3 out of 5

Winona Ryder (Maya), Ben Chaplin (Peter), Sarah Wynter (Claire), Philip Baker Hall (Father James), John Hurt (Father Lareaux), Elias Koteas (John).

Maya is a spiritual advisor and having been exorcised herself, participates in exorcisms with the church. During an exorcism she uncovers an upcoming plan by Satan to posess Peter, a best-selling author who doesn’t believe in Evil. As she tries to convince Peter of what is about to happen he starts seeing other signs himself.

This one starts off interesting enough but then falls into a lull as character development take over and the film tries to build suspense with the plot. The suspense works well for a while before the plot becomes more active and things start to happen. After that the film is pretty good up until the end which was about as anti-climatic as you can get. The plot is good but it is also one that has been done numerous times before and is really just a variation of The Exorcist.

Ryder actually did a decent job here playing a much darker role than usual. Chaplin did very good being believeable as both innocent and complacent, and then later as being afraid. Wynter, Hall, Hurt and Koteas all did a nice job supporting.

Camera work, sound, dialogue, sets and background were all nicely done throughout the film. What effects the film had were nicely done and added well to the suspense and supernatural side of things.

This is a mid-level entry in the Thriller or Satanic Stories genre with overall generally good quality on every level but nothing to set it above other films of the same type. It just never developed the bite it had the potential to deliver. Some foul language and violence but this one should be fine for teens and above.

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).