Friday, October 30, 2009

Karla

Released: 2006
Reviewed: 10.27.09
Star rating: 3 out of 5

Laura Prepon (Karla), Misha Collins (Paul), Patrick Bauchau (Dr. Arnold), Emilie Jacobs (Debbie), Alex Boyd (Nick), Cherilyn Hayres (Tammy), Fiona Manners, Tanya Lemelle.

Based on a true story, the husband-and-wife team of Karla and Paul abduct, sexually abuse, and kill three young women. The story is told from Karla's perspective as she recounts events to psychologist Dr. Arnold in an attempt to gain early parole.



This film kicks off in a disturbing manner and continues to gain momentum in that direction right up to the end. I'm surprised at the number of poor reviews I've seen as I found the film to be a delightfully disturbing look at a rare serial-killer team. I haven't read the book so can't compare it to that. Nor have I seen any of the actual video or news reports, so I can't compare to those. Standing by itself, the film delivers a disturbing plot and makes rape and killing look almost too easy. There are a few slow parts but the psychological development was as interesting as the action scenes to me.

Acting was okay but not outstanding by anyone. It was nice to see Prepon in something beside That 70's show and realize she does have talent. Collins and Bauchau delivered their usual performances, mild energy and audience connection. The rest of the supporting cast did well but lack of experience was obvious at times.

Camera work, background and sets were all mediocre and the film looked to be lower budget though that could have been intentional as I believe the setting was more than a few years ago. Sound and dialogue were okay, nothing special. Gore shots and action scenes were well done.

Overall I enjoyed this one, despite the dark and disturbing storyline. It was dark, moody, and threw the story at you head-on without plot conventions or diversions. With plenty of violence including murder, rape, and abuse along with plenty of foul language and disturbing sexual content save this one for adults and above.

No comments:

Mine mine mine!!!!

Blog disclaimer and copyright information. . .

-I hope to make this blog revenue generating in the future and as such any posts found here may be paid posts. If you want to pay me to post for you, let me know!
-Content may change over time resulting in inaccuracies. I also make mistakes, some will be here.
-I have no control over what is at the other end of any links you may find here.
-Film pictures, dvd covers, film banners or whatever you like to call them are copied here from widely available public locations. I did not create them nor do I own them.
-Any files, programs or downloadables are provided only for convenience and fun. I in no way warrant, represent, or otherwise imply they won’t cause you problems. Use at your own risk! If your computer blows up I don’t want to even hear about it.
-Reviews posted here are my opinion and meant as informational for prospective viewers and are not meant to malign, defame, or otherwise harm anyone or anything. They also are not meant as advice or counsel , not necessarily factual or absolute, and the author will not be held responsible for the results of their use.
-Comments are NOT the opinion of this author, nor is he responsible or liable for the comments or their results. I will try to moderate them in a reasonable (to me) manner.
-Translation of any portion of this blog may result in other than desirable language for which the author is not responsible. Furthermore, I’m not an English major so there will be bad grammar and punctuation found here. There may also be language that is intentionally objectionable to support my opinions. Tough.
-Copyright: All reviews and opinions expressed here by the author are owned by the author. Please enjoy reposting and/or linking, I ask only that you give proper credit and inform me you have used my content for your own pleasure and devious purposes.
-Legal limit on damages: .02 cents, U.S. (Yes, I will give you my 2 cents worth if you abuse me in court).